Allow your code to accept the sort/filter variables as form or url
variables.  For example, something like:

<CFPARAM NAME="URL.Sort" DEFAULT="">
<CFPARAM NAME="FORM.Sort" DEFAULT="#URL.Sort#">

<CFPARAM NAME="URL.Filter" DEFAULT="">
<CFPARAM NAME="FORM.Filter" DEFAULT="#URL.Filter#">

<CFQUERY NAME="GetRecords" DATASOURCE="#APPLICATION.DSN#">
        SELECT
                col1,
                col2
        FROM
                table
        <CFIF Len(Trim(FORM.Filter))>
                WHERE
                        col1 = '#FORM.Filter#'
        </CFIF>
        <CFIF Len(Trim(FORM.Sort))>
                ORDER BY #FORM.Sort#
        </CFIF>
</CFQUERY>

<TABLE>
    <TR>
        <TD><A
HREF="currentPage.cfm?Filter=#FORM.Filter#&Sort=col1">Col1</A></TD>
        <TD><A
HREF="currentPage.cfm?Filter=#FORM.Filter#&Sort=col2">Col2</A></TD>
    </TR>
    <CFOUTPUT QUERY="GetRecords">
        ... display rows based on query ...
    </CFOUTPUT>