I think you'll find the forthcoming Rich Internet Application course
from Macromedia to be exactly what you're looking for. I don't have a
date for it yet but I'm one of the internal reviewers and so far it
seems pretty good, allowing a complete novice with Flash to work
through and build complete applications.

On Friday, Sep 27, 2002, at 14:22 US/Pacific, Rick Faircloth wrote:
> For us AS beginners, the problem is that
> we *must* learn the most basic aspects of AS
> to function.  Advanced scripters may not want to
> wade through the basics, but they can still get to where
> they need to be.
>
> Skip the basics, and start with the advanced stuff, and the beginners
> are left out in cold...

An Architect's View -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

Macromedia DevCon 2002, October 27-30, Orlando, Florida
Architecting a New Internet Experience
Register today at http://www.macromedia.com/go/devcon2002