Ray,
This is gonna get very verity focused.

In principle can I create my own 'locales' for use with my own file sets. In
effect I could copy the english locale, then create a new local called
'awkwardcustomer'. Reverse engineer the vdk20.syd (the english thesaurus
file) using
mksyd -locale <locale> -dump -syd <custom_thesaurus> -f <control_file>

Edit the control file adding my extra thesaurus bits I want, then remake the
syd file using
mksyd -locale <locale> -f <control_file> -syd <custom_thesaurus>

or am I going about this completely wrong?

Adam