On Tuesday, Oct 8, 2002, at 09:04 US/Pacific, Lee Fuller wrote:
> You see, (and this is a bit of a walk down memory lane, and maybe even
> borders on a fantasy dream world) when Allaire started, we had open,
> clear and useful discussions about what was happening with the product.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that when Allaire was a small
company and you could just email Jer or Ben directly and get a
response, life was grand!

> But, unfortunately, MM has fallen into the same-ol' trap as
> M$, and others and has grown apart (to a great extent) from the core
> community.  Hence this list.

Well, Allaire actually grew to almost the same size at one point that
Macromedia is today so the "David & Goliath" comparison doesn't hold
water and, more to the point, the community was complaining about this
exact, same problem with Allaire once it grew 'big'. It's not a
Macromedia problem per se, it's a big-company problem: in order to
fairly support a large community of users, you need to put in place
procedures and layers so that engineering doesn't get swamped with end
user emails and calls. Besides, several people have commented that
Macromedia's involvement today is greater than Allaire's was before the
merger.

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone.
  My wish has come true - I no longer know how to use my telephone."
-- Bjarne Stroustrup