From: Deanna L. Schneider [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 14:30
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linebreaks in WDDX

Hi Folks,
I have a little issue that could be solved multiple ways, so I'm looking to
you all for suggestions.

The issue is this: my coworker has a form that he created that collects some
insecure and some secure data. Thus, the whole form is sitting on the secure
server (which he doesn't have access to, which is where I come in). So, what
I'm doing is taking the secure data, doing a cfquery to insert into the
secure database, then taking all of the rest of the data, packing into a
structure, serializing it into WDDX, and appending it to a cflocation url
back to the insecure server. There, I deserialize, and toss it into an
insecure database, so that he can "play" with the insecure data as it comes
in, and I only have to deal with giving him the secure data via "sneaker
net" periodically. Yes, I know, it's a crazy system. I have no control over
our admin's policies. Aren't I the lucky trusted one.

So, the problem comes in when he has people entering data into text area
fields. It seems that the inclusion of a line break in a text area halts the
transmission of the wddx packet after the line break, and I get a lovely XML
error. So, I tried doing a restricted input on the text areas, with a
virtual wrap, but that still seems to hose the system.

Question is:
1. Is this a real bug, or am I going crazy?
2. Would the best solution (the one I'm leaning towards) be to do two forms
and process one on the insecure server, then if necessary, toss them to the
secure server for the credit card info collection?
3. Or, should I try to figure out a way to solve the issue  -  I'm thinking
that people could enter whatever they want in the text areas, then I could
strip out offending characters before stuffin' the structure.

Thoughts?

-Deanna

Deanna Schneider
Interactive Media Developer
UWEX Cooperative Extension Electronic Publishing Group
103 Extension Bldg
432 N. Lake Street
Madison, WI 53706
(608) 265-7923