Dick Applebaum wrote:

> I guess you could capture the  Access database into SQL-Server,
> offline, if you had:
>
>     1) a windows machine
>     2) MSDE or SQL-Server
>     3) MS-Office
>
> This extra step gives you a mirror of the client's MS-Access db  on
> SQL-Server -- you still need to manipulate it for validation,
> normalization, conversion to online, etc.
>
> What do you do if you need to go to  some other (not SQL-Server) RDBMS,
> that doesn't have the ability to capture Access databases?

- use a utility to move the data (available for most open source
databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL).
- make an ODBC datasource for the RDBMS you are going to use, create the
tables in it and use Access linked tables to move the data over.
- export the data as .csv and read it into the new database

The last to can also move data in the other direction.

 > Is this an issue that any of you run into with any frequency?

All the time. We tell people to use PgAdmin to convert from Access to
PostgreSQL and if they want access from outside the Uni we allow their
IP to connect to the database server for their specific database.

Jochem