This is not an option. I don't know how many times I have to say that. We have been
using ColdFusion for years and have systems in place on it. We're forward thinking and
trying to get rid of our legacy applications, not create new ones. It will not be an
option for us to move forward unless CFMX can be run as nobody.

Part of our security hardening procedure on production servers is to allow *no* user
accounts other than administrators. None of our production software runs as a user
other than nobody. We have *never* had a problem with that. I cannot just change the
rules - they are dictated by a federal governing body (and I would lose my job and
worse if I did).

We took this problem to SUN to cover our bases as well and here was their response,
backing up my security issue here:

"Following up on this case regarding locking down a solaris system via the login
shell. My understanding is one of your 3rd party plugins (coldfusion) must implement a
valid shell for the user nobody, who normally does not have any shell assigned for
obvious reasons. I dont know if I agree with the fact that coldfusion actually
requires a shell since it is a security hole but thats another ballgame. Does
coldfusion actually require a user to login? If not, I would highly recommend using the
noshell program which is much more secure than say /bin/false. This shell wont let the
user actually login but it is a valid shell. You can get this right off of:

"http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/implementations/i049.02.html

"This site gives step by step instructions for using the noshell program, which is
very straight forward and takes no more than 10 minutes. If coldfusion actually
requires a login than their will be no choice but to assign a valid shell (ie.
/bin/csh) to the user nobody and lock the system down appropriately (ie. specify NP in
the /etc/shadow file or what not). A valid shell always leave a system open to hacker
attacks so I would suggest reviewing the following security faq which tells you pretty
much everything you need to know on how to secure the system:

"http://muse.linuxmafia.org/lost+found/solaris-security-faq.html#Q3.10

"I hope this helps.

"Best Regards,"

I will look into the noshell option to see if it works and is feasible, but I am
highly disappointed that this was written off as a seemingly non-issue when it in fact
is a huge issue.

Cathy Taylor