Cathy-

   I wrote the CFMX start script. I also wrote the install. I wrote all of the scripts
located in /bin/coldfusion.

   If you do not want to define a shell for the nobody user, and as solaris does *NOT*
allow on the fly shell definition, you must run CFMX as something other than nobody
with a validly defined shell.

   CFMX is written on top of JRun, therefore, we inherit it's methodology to an
extent. JRun requires you install, and run (therefore it must be a valid user account)
JRun as the user you wish to run it as.

   As you have pointed out, this differs from CF5. This is because CFMX is not written
on the CF6 codebase, and has negligable C components.

   CF5 and previous revisions has a C binary, the launcher, which would read out the
"run time user" you defined. It would then perform a start function as the root user,
fork the process and perform an SUID "switching" to that defined user.

   This was made possible because Tom J (the primary engineer) wrote the C binaries
for launching implementing his own SUID system.

   CFMX did not have that luxury, our goal was to utilize as little C code as humanly
possible. We were also built on top of JRun. As we could not expect CF users to
install and run as a given user like JRun requires, we did what you see now.

   Inside the script, for Unixes, we perform an su -u $user -c 'command' and on Linux,
we define an "on the fly shell" which is only utilized for the running of that single
command.

   Solaris does not *allow* the definition of a shell when you su to a given user.
This was a servere problem with us, and the only way around it is to ensure the
defined user has a predefined shell.

   While some will accuse this as a security risk, the coldfusion documentation states
(or should) that you should run CFMX as a user OTHER than nobody, instead, you should
create a user account specifically for CFMX. It has never been recommended that you
run CF as the same user as the webserver, we choose nobody during the install as that
provides the easiest method of installation.

   If solaris changed SU to allow for on the fly shell definition, then we can change
the script, otherwise on solaris the runtime user must have a valid shell.

-Jesse Noller
Macromedia