> > 2. Within the CF Administrator, enter the path to the
> > "jre" directory (which should contain two subdirectories,
> > "bin" and "lib").
>
> I inadvertently left out step 2 but still noticed the
> improvements to the jdbc driver performance.
>
> I presume the new jre automatically improves upon any
> existing jdbc drivers installed on the machine and that
> the jvm mapping required in the cf administrator is for
> the purpose of mapping other CF items to the upgraded
> jre.

That's odd. I wouldn't think it would make any difference at all, until
you've told CF MX to use the new JVM. Is the new JVM's location in your
global PATH environment variable? If not, again, I don't see how installing
the new JVM, by itself, would make any difference. You might very well have
three or four JVMs installed on a single machine, all independent of each
other (for example, on my laptop, I have the Microsoft VM, the VM that came
with CF MX, the VM that came with JRun, and the 1.4.0_01 VM I installed
myself). None of these should interfere with each other, by default.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444