I agree with your argument that the marketplace is not entirely to blame for
the problems the Cold Fusion platform is facing esp. in enterprise
solutions.

What I always want to ask people who look at this from a cost standpoint is
(and I ask this with all due respect): Do you pay your developers to code?
Are you aware of the difference in the number of lines of code written to
accomplish the same thing on each platform?

I support several Cold Fusion and JSP applications and Cold Fusion by far is
geared towards faster rapid application development. I've seen CF projects
that take two days to complete take two weeks to port to JSP, and JSP
projects reengineered in CF take one-fifth the development time. Different
developers can have different opinions on what the actual time to production
savings is, however, I have yet to meet anyone who says they can get work
done faster in JSP than CF.

I realize that different platforms have different nuances which are
difficult to measure. But it is surprising to me that no one will try to
take up cost savings in development time over a year as the justification
for running Cold Fusion on top of J2EE. Maybe it is because no one has
produced a study or has hard metrics to back up the assertion, I don't know.
But production time is an intangible that affects the bottom line just like
anything else, and is ignored at one's peril.