From: Trey Rouse [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 10:48 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: How Good is the Job Market for ColdFusion?

I would challenge your 'Deployed' numbers.

Your 'Facts' don't hold much water with me.

More than 10,000 organizations have purchased ColdFusion
More than 125,000 ColdFusion servers deployed

The average organization purchases and deploys 12.5 licenses of CF?
Where are the numbers of deployment of CFMX? Or how about 5.0+?

Are the dozen licenses we own but are collecting dust being counted in
your numbers?  And how many others like us?

I would be very surprised if 90% of your customer base purchases and
deploys more than 3 servers, and of those, I bet at most 50% are
production.

If you expect us to believe this PR dribble, I think some more
supporting information is needed.  At least a basis from where these
numbers are coming from?

Trey Rouse

CF
> sites we use for PR/marketing:
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/proven/
>
> Even considering the upgrade cycle in the enterprise app-server world,
the
> list of CFMX enterprise sites is growing every day. The following are
> few of the CFMX sites recently sent to me:
>
> http://www.ecoprimalquest.com/
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?countryid=19&languageid=1
> http://www.panasonic.com.au/hometheatre
> http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/ (some CF, some dynamic Flash content, some
> just plain HTML)
> http://www.reservations.broadmoor.com
>
> We know a lot of enterprise-level customers have upgraded to CFMX and
are
> in the upgrade cycle - but they don't always report back to us when
they
> go live with CFMX, so feel free to send me sites that you know of too!
>
> In addition to this stuff, consider the ways Macromedia is expanding
the
> CF market:
>
> *Ground-up rewrite in Java: This expands CF capabilities, as well as
makes
> CF an option to the enterprise-level sites which want the benefits of
> deploying on a the Java platform and the rapid app dev (RAD) offered
by
> CF. It also means current CF customers have a way to move up to the
Java
> platform without requiring they abandon their existing apps (or their
CF
> developers). Admittedly, this has been a challenging release of CF for
> some, but once the dust settles, CF and the CF community will enjoy
this
> huge leap forward.
>
> *We're working to deliver the information developers need to help them
be
> successful with ColdFusion and our other technology offerings:
> www.macromedia.com/desdev
>
> *We're tappiing into new markets for CF:
>
> -With Flash remoting, the HUGE Flash community is getting turned on to
CF.
> While one can purchase Flash remoting for ASP, Flashers taking to CF
> readily because of it's shorter learning curve and RAD capabilities.
>
> -Dreamweaver users: OK, before you pile on me about this one, I'm not
> trying to debate the CFStudio/HS+ vs. Dreamweaver issue for CFers.
> Dreamweaver is ~80% of the HTML editor market, and these folks are
moving
> into the dynamic application/web app development space in droves.
> Dreamweaver MX makes their entry into the CF arena a snap with its
built
> in server behaviors that cover the most basic stuff, and CF's shorter
> learning curve and tagged based syntax makes CF a very attractive for
> these new application developers.
>
> *We've delivered innovative products that are more integrated and work
> more smoothly with each other than ever before, offering "one-stop"
> shopping for industry leading technologies. This also means that we
can
> deliver well integrated technologies, and better information for those
who
> are integrating these various technologies. But we've also worked to
> remain somewhat agnostic with many of these innovations; many (most)
of