On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 04:01 PM, Troy Simpson wrote:

> I'm still hopeing that Micosoft or someone will come out with a
> JDBC/ODBC/Other Driver for Access on Unix.

If what I am told is true, that is either unlikely, expensive or both.

I was  told that the Jet engine (MS-Access) is implemented within the
driver -- so to come out with a 'Nix driver would be the same as coming
out with MS-Access, itself, on that platform.

Apparently, MS has chosen not to do this.  Someone else would likely
need to License Access from MS to do this.

The OpenLink solution interfaces the MS MS-Access driver with a
win-program that acts like a server, accessible thru TCP/IP via JDBC or
ODBC,

I think what would make most sense is:

1) lots of developers ask (and be prepared to pay)  OpenLink for a
lower developer price (say, $200, instead of $500)

2) have the client purchase the package

3) MacroMedia license the package from OpenLink

4) Bite the bullet and buy the $500 package, yourself (as I will do
when my trial ends), because it pays for itself, the first time you use
it.

Dick