There was another post about this I could've responded to, but I deleted it,
hence this new post.

This article:

http://www.macromedia.com/v1/Handlers/index.cfm?ID=23021&Method=Full

Explains why not locking shared scopes won't crash the server, but could
cause a "race condition" and corrupt data.  What I don't get is why OTHER
languages don't need locks around shared scopes, if CFMX is indeed
thread-safe like they are (ASP to name one).  Basically this article says
"The good news is your server won't crash -- the bad news is, your data will
be totally useless."  To me, that says "You still have to lock everything
you always had to, unless you want corrupt data."  I'm sorry, but it seems
like a lot of double-talk to me.

In the article they give an example of updating a variable called
session.cartTotal.  What if I have two pages -- one that just reads this
variable, and the one they show that reads and performs an update of the
variable simultaneously.  Isn't it possible that these two disparate pages
would cause a race condition, proving that you still have to lock?

If I am wrong about this, can anyone explain in English, so my tiny little
brain can comprehend why?

Thanks!