From: Bud [mailto:webcreation@;mindspring.com]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 1:46 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Understanding Locking In CFMX

On 11/1/02, Ben Forta penned:
>Any application or development language that allows multiple threads to

>access shared data has to deal with it - operating systems do, as do
>DBMSs, as do development languages. It is not a CF issue at all.

Well, assuming that something like a shopping cart is stored in a
session variable. Each session should be unique to the user, correct?
So unless a user has 2 windows opens and clicks View Cart
simultaneously in one window while clicking Update Cart in the other,
there shouldn't be a problem, should there? Or without locking, is
there a chance ColdFusion could read the variable while it's still
being written.

Example:

1. <cfset temp = QuerySetCell(session.cart, "quantity", #form.quantity#,
1)>

2. There are <cfoutput>#session.cart.quantity#</cfoutput> items in your
cart.

Could Step 2 process before step 1 is finished? I didn't think it could.

That's one reason I could never understand why session locking was
needed. Application and server variables I understand.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/ 954.721.3452