I think I'm going crazy. My CFMX server crashes almost every day now and it 
is a really big problem. I posted the other day and asked anyone on this 
list if they were running CFMX on a med-high traffic site without crashing 
and not a single person responded with a positive story of success. Not 
very encouraging.

We've had to look at purchasing a new web server, CFMX license, and 
hardware load balancer just to keep our website up. And our webserver is 
only running at about 10-20% utilization! I don't get it, we're not under a 
lot of load but the server continue's to die. I've had the following problems:

First the server would start to stack queued and running requests while not 
responding until the server was completely unresponsive. Restarting the 
CFMX service would bring the server back.

We then added a nightly cycle (cycle.bat) to see if that would help. It did 
not seem to help, we continued to experience the same crashes.

Now the server is crashing more than before and exhibiting some new 
symptoms. This bread of crash does not increment the queued or running 
requests, does not "stop" the service, it just causes the webserver to 
return server not found errors. This has happened twice. For no apparent 
reason, in the middle of the night (low traffic) the server dies. 
Restarting CFMX and/or IIS does not help. The server requires a complete 
reboot to come back on-line. The following (from the event log) seems to 
coincide with the time the server went down last night:

This error is apparently what killed CFMX.

 From Dr. Watson:
The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 
11/02/2002 @ 01:31:38.484 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 
6D45F565 (JVM_InitializeCompiler)

Since the CFMX service was not actually stopped, trying to restart it 
generated this error in the exception log:

Information","Thread-4","11/02/02","01:49:38",,"Address in use: JVM_Bind"
java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at coldfusion.server.jrun4.metrics.CfstatServer.run(Unknown Source)


I don't know what to do next, except wait for Macromedia to release a new 
updater. We've gone over the applications code and there are no unlocked 
variables, everything looks okay. Does anyone know what the JVM error above 
means? Should I rebuild the machine from the ground up?

Brook Davies


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
This list and all House of Fusion resources hosted by CFHosting.com. The place for 
dependable ColdFusion Hosting.

Reply via email to