i am pretty sure that this is an issue with the text chat component. it
doesn't limit the amount of text that it can hold. the more it holds,
the more CPU it requires.

the solution is to change the component to only hold so much text. when
i get a chance, i am going to write up some info on how to do this.

also, just fyi, i noticed that we just released some updated components:

------
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashcom/download/components/>

Changes (also in the ERRATA.txt inside the .zip):

This document describes the bug fixes and enhancements that
are included in this revision of the Communication Components.

CLIENT-SIDE

-The VideoRecord and VideoPlayback components have been
 added. Documentation for these components in the PDF that is
 enclosed with the communication components package.

-The SimpleConnect component no longer has a memory leak on
 the client-side; previously, the memory leak occurred if you
 typed faster than 1 character every 10 milliseconds.

-The Presenter Shared Object property of the AVPresence
 component has been removed. Flash Communication Server now
 sets the value property of the property automatically. You
 can use multiple instances of the AVPresence component in one
 application without having to set this property for each instance.

SERVER-SIDE

-The application.asc and framework.asc files have been
 modified to allow garbage collection for applications using
 components.

-A new method, getClientID(client), has been added to the
 components framework. This method returns a unique ID for
 each client. The server-side scripts of the components provided
 have been updated to use this method.
---

although i dont think the chat issue was addressed.

mike chambers

[EMAIL PROTECTED]