From: S. Isaac Dealey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 1:25 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Server Scope / UDFs

> On Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002, at 12:05 US/Pacific, Dave Watts
> wrote:
>> Well, personally, I'm not much of a fan of the idea of
>> into
>> memory anyway - memory is good for storing data, but is
>> wasted on code.

> Well, functions are just data. The benefit is that you
> don't have to
> include the file that defines the function...

I have a sneaky suspicion that <cfset myudf = application.udf.myudf> is
faster than <cffunction name="myudf"> ... </cffunction> or the cfscript
equivalent... I've never load tested it, but i would expect that the CF
processing engine, whether it's CF 5 pcode or CF MX Java has to take more
time to read in and create the function than to assign a pointer to it.

The pointer is after all only a byte or two of volatile memory lookup vs.
the function definition which is invariably larger, plus time to actually
parse and validate the code and make sure it's not missing a double-quote or
a close-parenthesis somewhere, etc.

Does anybody know for sure? Has anyone done any load testing to compare
them?

s. isaac dealey                954-776-0046

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816