As a note, I wrote an application several months ago that scanned the
Undeliverable folder in CF for mail and made 3 attempts to resend the
message before discarding the message (stored attempts in a database).
It worked pretty well, but the code is on my former employer's servers
which I don't have access to. But it can be done and it was pretty
successful. It typically caught all the "good" mail that just got
shoved aside for whatever reason. CFMail is pretty buggy (especially
4.x and 5) so I'd recommend doing something similar if you're not using
MX.

So far I haven't had any issues with MX and CFMail, but I'm still going
to be re-writing that application for my new CFMX server just in case.
If you can find a reliable method to scan the undelivered mail for
status codes or something then it would be more efficient than
resending everything that doesn't get delivered.

Thanks,

Joshua Miller