By default Windows machines are set to automatically restart on kernel
panics. You don't want that as if it is a hardware problem the kernel
panic will often tell you what hardware is at fault. It seems to me that
your choices are to either use Compaq supplied hardware diagnostics or
to real install Windows and hope for a kernel panic then.

Matt Liotta
President & CEO
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.montarasoftware.com/