The server sets it when the person authenticates to the server login. So you
just define the directory as restricted in the web server configuration,
then when a person requests anything in that directory or lower, the web
server intercepts it before anything else does and asks for a login.

The CF app can then read the #cgi.remote_user# variable and compare that
against a database of users for personalization if you like.

-Kevin