Sorry, Dave.  I guess I wasn't clear enuf.  The original had "...it's
intended..." referring to client scope.

My comment about "practicality" referred to client scope not to session
scope.  I was simply pointing out that it can be practical to use client
scope.  I did not mean to imply session variables were not practical.  I
was reacting to the suggestion that client scope was "intended more for
long-term user data storage"  I'm not exactly sure what the writer meant by
this, but I didn't want the suggestion that client scope should not be used
to maintain state to just lie there.

As always, conclusions are application-dependent.  In the application I
spend most of my time on, every page has database queries, and the ms spent
on pulling client variables out of a database is not where the time is
being spent.  In addition, I don't use the default client variable database
storage method that requires parsing a #-delimited list to get each client
variable. My client variable database has a specific column for each client
variable.

best,  paul