From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 5:13 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: For the gurus: Question about state management with CLIENT sc
ope

> > The Client scope isn't really intended to behave the
> > same way as the Session scope - it's intended more
> > for long-term user data storage, rather than storing
> > data during an individual visit.
>
> It's intent is one thing. It's practicality is another.
>
> I never use session scope to maintain state. I use client
> scope and store client variables in a database. I let the
> database worry about what it is good at - locking, so I
> don't have to worry about it.

While this may ease your coding, especially with versions prior to CFMX, I
would disagree with your implication that it's not practical to use the
Session scope.

It's pretty expensive to add a database query to every page, which is what
you're doing when you use the Client scope. Storing short-term data in
memory is much, much cheaper, and perfectly safe if you write your code
correctly.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496