Sean A Corfield wrote:

> Integer is the safer way to represent money - as pennies - because that
> way you avoid rounding errors. Financial applications should never use
> floating point to represent dollars (or whatever). If you take 0.00 and
> add 0.01 a hundred times, you're quite likely to get something which
> does not equal 1.00 because of inherent inaccuracies in floating point
> representation.

<nitpick>
I believe the rounding baheviour of SQL is not specified to the point
where you can say a priori that math will not introduce errors with any
datatype. You always have to check the manual, because even with
operations involving 2 exact numeric values the outcome is often
implementation-defined.
</nitpick>

Common sense says that any exact numeric value should be OK, so NUMERIC,
DECIMAL, INTEGER and SMALLINT will work.

Jochem