From: Zachary Bedell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 23 June 2000 10:32 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Tracking users through a site

Another possibility, if cookies are an option, would be to continuely pass a
"Click Stream" cookie back & forth to the user.  At each page request, just
take the current cookie that they've sent back to you, append the current
page w/ keywords to the end, and send it back to the user.

Alot of sites do that very thing, but it has the potential of creating a
rather large cookie if the user spends any amount of time on your site.  You
could potentially have kilobytes of extra information sent both directions
on every single page request.

My personal feeling on logging-type things like this is that you end up with
a MUCH more reliable site if you offload as much of the processing to later.
So in this case, I'd recommend logging each page hit, then latter (perhaps
hourly, even) running analysis on the per-page logs to aggregate them into
something more useful for your needs.

Best regards,
Zac Bedell