I have a client with simple needs that let me use a simple solution for their five
sites:

Every site simply pointed to the same datasource for common content (and every site
used identical db queries... the sites are near mirrors of one another).  If you
wanted to put the db on one of the web servers, or all web/db stuff on one server, or
all separate, it would be just as simple, at least for this app, which just shares
page content across the 5 sites and accepts and processes complex form input using a
single back end processing engine.

If you identify the site you're coming from via an app var or something you can do all
sorts of customization... the real key is for CF to use a single common dsn.

Matt Robertson, MSB Designs, Inc.
http://mysecretbase.com - Retail
http://foohbar.org - ColdFusion Tools