OK, It appears that you want to just be able to access another sites
database records and files rather than to make sure that the
databases/files of these sites are synchronized (contain each other's
data).

You can do this with a web service on each site that receives a request
(from another site) and returns the data requested -- if the sites are
CFMX.

If you are using prior versions of CF, it's a little more work.  You
can write a CF stub that resides on each site.  As above, the stub
receives requests for database records/files from other sites and
returns the results.  You use WDDX to handle the passing of data, for
example;

Site a - requestor           Site b - target
===================          ===============
-Compose db query
-serialize into WDDX
-cfhttp pass request ------> -receive request
                              -deserialize request
                              -issue query to b's db
                              -serialize results
-receive results     <------ -return results
-deserialize results
-display results

To site a, it appears as if you have local access to site b's database,
etc.

I have used the stub/WDDX approach to move entire databases from one
remote site to another where I didn't have admin privileges to either
site.

The easiest way to return non-text images/files is to just pass the URL
of the image/file to the requestor, which, in turn, passes it to the
requesting browser.

HTH

Dick

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 10:15 PM, CounterCW wrote:

> The databases will be on separate servers.
> So, unfortunately, I won't be able to do SQL statements.
>
> Is there another method I can use?
>
> --
> Mike
>

> At 04:24 PM 12/18/02 -0800, you wrote:
>> Is the database on a separate server or servers?
>>
>> Does each site have a separate database, or do they sahre a common
>> database with a column in each table that identifies the site.
>>
>> You can set up a shared database with each table having a layout such
>> as:
>>
>> Create Table Customer
>>   (
>>    CustomerID  Integer Identity Primary Key,
>>    SiteID           Char.
>>    *
>>    *
>>    *
>>   )
>>
>> Then your queries could include site identifiers (or not)
>>
>> SELECT * From Customer
>>    WHERE SiteID = 'a'
>>

>> SELECT * From Customer
>>    WHERE SiteID IN ('a','c','d')
>>
>> So, you could easily integrate the db.
>>
>> I did a web site with 12 different magazines sharing a common set of
>> programs and 1 common database using the above design.  They also
>> shared a common CF server.
>>
>> Based, on the URL accessed initially, a session variable was set which
>> determined the look and feel of the site-- the common programs would
>> work slightly differently depending on the site being accessed.
>>
>> As some others have mentioned, you could use CFMXJ2ee an something
>> like
>> Websphere, JRun or Tomcat and deploy a different CF Server instance
>> for
>> each site.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Dick
>>

>> On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 03:10 PM, CounterCW wrote:
>>
>>> What is the best way to synchronize multiple web sites so that if one
>>> website wants to share information with others, they can?
>>> For example, if you had these web sites: (each on different servers)
>>>
>>> a.com
>>> b.com
>>> c.com