"One disclaimer; I have received certifications in the past and hold
some now. However, I have never paid for a certification or intended to
get one."

They fall on ya? You fell in a pit of them?  :)

My take is much like Matts, I've seen people who cram just to get the
cert to say they are certified and couldn't code their way out of a
paper sack. I have had interviewers mention that (among other things
usually) my certification helped me get to the interview. Some haven't
cared and some have wanted me to take a brainbench exam on the spot.

A degree or cert really says that you wanted to quantify what you know.
I got my CF Cert for that reason. I knew I knew my stuff and a
certificate helps prove that.  Does it mean those who aren't certified
know less than me? Not even close. I've met plenty who were more
advanced than I am and had no interest in becoming certified.

I think in the end a certification, a degree, a (Fill in the blank with
appropriate resume fodder) is what you make of it. I don't introduce
myself to people or interviewers, "Hi, I'm John Wilker. Macromedia
Certified ColdFusion Developer." mostly because it's too long :) but
also because it's only one aspect of who I am and what I can bring to an
employer. (but it is in my sig LOL)

J.

John Wilker
Web Applications Consultant, Writer
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion Developer
Founder/President IE CFUG
www.red-omega.com

Whatever is wrong it is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp
stick. Unless of course you just got poked in the eye with a sharp
stick.