Wow -- this has been a great thread -- thanks for all the comments.

I have to agree I'm pretty cynical about the certs -- I had written two
books and been doing ColdFusion for 4 years before I took the time to
certify (and I remember sending the partners@mm folks a nasty letter when
they told me I had to certify to stay in the program once MM bought
Allaire -- we all don't have cert centers in our immediate vicinity nor the
inclination to pay $$ and time to pass a pretty basic exam).

But I have found with several government-related jobs, both US and German,
that there's two boxes to check: CS degree or MCSE. (In one situation, the
project was CF/Oracle and the requirement was CS or MCSE... go figure). No
matter how much the tech folks push, the bureaucrat requires the box be
checked. (Now one may wonder if the job is worthwhile if a bureaucrat makes
the decision but that's another thread altogether :)

The other thing I've found is that it's much harder to compete against CS
grads if you're not one. I've been doing programming for 20 years, starting
in high school, getting two degrees and spending significant doctoral
program time doing all sorts of programming. Written books, taught
courses/seminars, the whole nine yards. But the HR folks get 100s of resumes
for some of the positions and it's hard to make a case for yourself if they
sieve you out based on the search criteria (of course if they're that
superficial, it might not be the best job...)

So certfication (particularly for the development world) comes down to two
major goals:

1) Prove you "understand" the technology from a specific vendor (MCSE, etc)
2) Prove you are a capable CS person (traditional degree)

Certainly the 2nd would tend to be the preferred person for all but very
narrow, compartmentalized jobs. So the questions then becomes "What
alternatives to 4 years back in school are there?"

Executive MIS/MBA/MSCS degrees, particularly fit the bill. High cost, large
commitment of time and effort. Clearly better longterm solution than certs.
Is this the preferred way to round out your professional credentials?

Time for some more discussion :)

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint