> But wow, do I think this is a bad idea.
> <rant>
> Databases are the core of many CF applications -- you
> should use the same database for development, staging,
> and production. Would you develop in CF4.5 and deploy
> to CFMX (or CF5 for that matter)? Would you develop on
> Windows and deploy to Solaris? (actually, you can do
> that as long as you remember the COM components won't
> work and filenames become case-sensitive).

In an ideal world, I agree with you. However, I've actually been pretty
successful using MS SQL Server as a development platform for Sybase (on
Solaris) deployment. I did this for an onsite consultation; I copied their
existing Sybase database to SQL Server on my laptop, wrote several hundred
stored procedures of middling to high complexity - one of which replaced a
loop over several hundred queries with a single database interaction,
reducing average execution time for that page from 15 seconds to less than 1
second - and they all worked flawlessly on Sybase.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444