From: Bruce Sorge [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 9:08 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: How can I redirect a user?

There are several login tags available, but the best way is to just have
a page that loggs the user in. I normally use a page called Login.cfm.
All this page does is, checks the users information that they posted on
the login form against the database, and if they are valid, I set some
application level variables and the like, then redirect them to the
appropriate page. If they do not have a account or did not enter their
infrmation correctly, they are redirected to the login page with a
message of what they did wrong.

So for instance, the code could look like this:

Validate the user againstthe database

<cfquery datasource="#Application.DSN#" Name="qry_CheckUser">
    Select Fname, Lname, UserID, Password
    From Users
    Where #TRIM(Users.UserID = Form.UserID)# AND #TRIM(Password =
Form.Password)
</cfquery>

Check to see if the information is valid

<cfif (qry_CheckUser.Recordcount) IS "1">
    set application, session or client variables here and redirect them
with cflocation

<cfelse>
Set error message to display and send them back to the login page
displaying the error message.

</cfif>

This is a very simplified login routine. Like I said, there are several
out there on the Developers Exchange. Just do a search for Login.