Over at least the last year or so, I have seen more and more CF code samples
where people choose to use XML-type syntax when coding CFML. My is: Why?

For those who might not know what I'm talking about, here's a trivial
example:

<cfset variables.myVar = "test" />
<cfset variables.myOtherVar = "other test" />

On the one hand, since CFML looks so much like HTML's tag-based syntax, I'm
guessing people do it for consistency to comply with XHTML standards. On the
other hand, since CFML is parsed before HTML is sent back to the browser,
why even do this? Further, in certain instances (i.e., custom tags), does
the trailing slash cause the tag to be executed twice? For example, would
the following syntax cause myCT to be run twice?

<cf_myCT />

Am I wrong about the duplicate execution of certain tags? Is it only custom
tags?

Just curious,
Dave.