From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 1:41 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: HELP!!!! jrun-resources.xml

> Of course, using JDBC/ODBC bridge means you can test using
> ODBC :) You need a JDBC app to test JDBC connectivity.

Dick Applebaum pointed out a useful JDBC client for this sort of thing -
ViennaSQL. It's a runnable JAR file:

http://vienna.sourceforge.net/

> Hey -- as an side, when you say the ODBC connection work,
> are you simply using the "Test Datasource" in the MSSQL
> ODBC setup? I don't remember all the details, but it's
> not a complete test -- it's more like a ping (yes, there's
> a sql server there) than a real test (yes, login is
> successful).

I'm pretty sure this isn't correct. When you use this test, you connect
the specific database, using the specific username and password. The
"ping"
part happens before you even get that far in the ODBC Control Panel -
when
you select a server or server alias.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/