For general stuff, I like Jakob Nielson and Marie Tahir's Homepage
Usability.
It gives you a pretty good idea of what to do and what not to do when
building a UI.

In addition, I like the Visual Quickstart Guides for an intro to
Fireworks, and then check out some of the tutorials on the Macromedia
DesDev area. Look under graphics.

For Flash, I got a good foundation using the Foundation Flash MX. For
more advanced stuff, try Flash MX Savvy.

Candace K. Cottrell, Web Developer
The Children's Medical Center
One Children's Plaza
Dayton, OH 45404
937-641-4293
http://www.childrensdayton.org

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/20/2003 10:00:10 AM >>>
Sorry for the off-topic post.
I have been doing back-end programming for quite a while, and now I
would like to get into actual design. Creating the UI. I have been in
B&N quite often, and have looked at several books, but I was wondering
if anyone on the list could point me to some good ones that will
actually teach me something. I am a beginner at UI design really. I have
dabbled in Fireworks, PhotoShop and Flash, but I want to get serious
about this. I feel that if I can get the UI part down, and I have the
back-end programming experience, it will make me a more well rounded
developer overall (not to mention the money I will save for not having
to outsource the UI work).

TIA,

Bruce