> I can see EVERY ip/traffic coming in.... if I dont like
> it, I lock it down but the firewall does that automatically
> anyhow....it auto-blocks by default

How do you differentiate between "good" and "bad" traffic?

For example, if you run a web server, you open port 80, and it's open to the
world, typically. Beyond using a generic input filter like URLScan, how do
you differentiate between well-formed requests from legitimate clients and
malformed requests intended to exploit some web server vulnerability?

That's just one example. The fact is, if you allow any legitimate traffic to
your machine, a software firewall will allow all traffic that fits the same
template - from specified sockets on the remote machine to specified sockets
on your machine, basically.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496