From: Rick Faircloth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 03 February 2003 15:02
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Why are my clients having so many login problems all of a
sudden?

Hi, all.

Seems like over the last week, several of my clients have all
started having problems logging into password-protected areas
for site management.

The setup uses a query to check username and password stored
in a db to see if their form entries match, and if so, the userid becomes
the session.userid and their off and running.

Now they can log in and see the site management options, but when they
click on a link to go that area, the system kicks them back to the login
page.
I can get in fine to all the management areas of the sites, with various
passwords
and usernames...and they can "sporadically", but the behavior is fairly
consistent.

Nothing's been changed on the sites' code or the database or on the
server settings.  (Except that I've been tinking a little with setting up
some FTP sites through IIS...)  Some of these sites have been running with
no problems
for a couple of years now...

I started using MySQL instead of Access a couple of months ago for new
sites...
both are still running.

Haven't updated Windows 2000 Server recently.

Cold Fusion hasn't been updated...still using 4.5.2.

I was able to get one client in on their office computers when I set their
cookie
screening to "low" (accept all cookies, all the time), but I'm not setting
any cookies
for authentication...at least not that I'm aware of.  I use CFAPPLICATION
and
set ClientManagemet = "Yes" and SessionManagement = "Yes" all the time,
but I don't use cookies for storing and checking information.

Just can't figure out why this is happening...

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what to check?

Thanks,

Rick