From: Bud [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 12:56 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Character Encoding - Reward Offered!

OK. $250.00 reward to the first person who can tell me what I'm doing
wrong or give me evidence/show me how to prove that UPS is returning
the wrong character set. Knowing UPS, I suspect it's the latter.

Here is the page:

http://dev.cf-ezcart.com/registerups/

Click Next.

The text in the top textarea field is being returned by UPS which I'm
stripping from the XML. It is all screwed up. Most notably the French
text at the bottom, but also trademark symbols and such.

The text in the bottom textarea field is the hard-coded text they
sent to me which I pasted in and displays properly.

I'm using this at the top of the template:
<cfset setEncoding("form","iso-8859-1")>
<cfset setEncoding("URL","iso-8859-1")>
<cfcontent type="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

This is in the HTML HEAD tag:

I tried using <CFPROCESSINGDIRECTIVE pageencoding="iso-8859-1"> in
both the template and the custom tag I'm calling but it didn't make a
difference.

CFMX server. CrystalTech.

Here is the response from UPS Tech support. They are absolutely no help:

***
Thank you for your email.  Due to the many environments and ways which
customers can implement the XML Tools, we do not support code directly
and
provide source code samples for reference only.  Unfortunately we can
not
provide you with access to a cold fusion developer, we do however
provide Visual Basic and Java source code samples that employ the
ISO-8859-1
standard.  The ISO-8859-1 character-set is necessary to be able to use
the
special French characters and is returned by our servers please
reference
the header of our XML response which contains the encoding specification
of
ISO-8859-1.  Since the French charter-set is not being properly
displayed in
the web page we anticipate that your program is manipulating the
encoding of
the text and setting the encoding to UTF-8 or UTF-16.  Please review
your
programming environment.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452