From: Eric Dawson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 9:18 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: (OT) Lindows was (commercial distributions of Linux)

Well the discussion of the commercialization of linux certainly is topical
(to listen and learn) for me. But certainly not cftalk topical.

It seems to me that the missing ingredient (if any) for linux these days is
the commercialization. From the discussion on this thread it seems apparent
that people are not interested in Linux because it is free, but because it
is capable, and they are willing to pay an amount to receive a "package" and

ongoing support for particular build streams, and value added build
streams/support.

I hope redistribution becomes a licensing non-issue, where Linux
distributors offer value with oem and packaged distributions for retail. And

of course ongoing value added support services.

I find Lindows interesting because it is a blatant effort to commercialize
Linux. And I certainly think there is room right now to build and support
niche installation distributions too numerous to mention.
http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_license.php

FYI Lindows uses
http://www.debian.org
http://www.kde.org
http://www.winehq.com

I'm not sure what the original thread was any more, but I'll soak up all of
this discussion. whereever it gets carried...

I need to find a linux dist for 6 pack of p200 I inherited (shutdown an
office in Winnipeg for another company), to give to people looking for lean
Internet cruisers, word processors. Interested in thought or suggestions.

Best Regards,
Eric Dawson
CF-Talk Feature Yap
It would be handy to have a ban this topic link for people not interested in

following the future winds of particular threads. Keep the discussion going
but allow people to opt out of particular threads.

We could put it right next to the read this thread link in its entirety that

we have talked about in the past. When you ban, you would receive an email
saying - You are no longer receiving discussion relating to this thread...
<click here to read>.