On Saturday, Mar 1, 2003, at 18:23 US/Pacific, samcfug wrote:
> Our ColdFusion user group was given two copies of Contribute to be
> given away as
> a prize at a meeting.  We tried, and no one was interested.  They
> remain
> unclaimed after two meetings so far.

By contrast, Mike Chambers and Christian Cantrell offered Contribute at
BACFUG and there was quite a bit of interest. It all depends on what
you need. I'm an ardent fan of Contribute because we have a large
number of project mini-sites that are pure HTML. It's very, very easy
to manage these with a simple "browse'n'edit" application like
Contribute. Until I moved from Windows to Mac, I kept Contribute open
all the time and worked on drafts when I was offline and used to update
websites whenever I thought of something to add.

> The majority of our developers still use CF Studio 4.5.  Not
> dreamweaver, not
> flash.  Their comments are long the lines of "If it ain't broke, why
> fix it?"

And that's a perfectly reasonable position. Naturally, we'd like
everyone to upgrade, but in reality, it doesn't happen very quickly for
certain types of products. Typically with software, about 30% of your
market upgrades immediately every time and 30% never upgrades (or takes
forever to do it). The middle 40% may or may not upgrade.

> Very few of them have any plans to migrate to the MX server products,
> due to the
> many and complex installation and configuration issues, that seem to
> not go
> away.  It seems that with the updates, new issues are introduced.

Server product upgrades are usually much more complex to deal with than
desktop tools. A lot of CFers seem to still be on 4.5 or even 4.0 and
many have no immediate plans to upgrade. As for the "complex" issues -
I think that's just a tradeoff that comes naturally with increased
power and capability. J2EE servers have many more 'tweakable'
parameters that CF has historically had. In order to gain the
flexibility and benefits of moving to a J2EE platform, you have to
accept some increased complexity (see, for example, several of the
entries in my blog discussing CFMX for J2EE configuration scenarios).

> CF 5.0, an Allaire product, still remains stable and viable for
> Dynamic data
> driven web sites.

Technically it is a Macromedia product - it shipped after the merger -
but I understand your point. However, you should remember that CFMX nee
"Neo" started life long before Macromedia bought Allaire and it was the
same team of developers and QA folks that continued to work on it after
the merger. You could just as accurately describe CFMX as an Allaire
product. But then the Allaire-good, Macromedia-bad argument would lose
some of its impact :)

Sean A Corfield -- Director, Architecture
Web Technology Group -- Macromedia, Inc.
tel: (415) 252-2287 -- cell: (415) 717-8473
aim/iChat: seancorfield -- http://www.macromedia.com
An Architect's View -- http://www.macromedia.com/go/arch_blog

Announcing Macromedia DevNet Subscriptions
Maximize your power with our new premium software subscription
Find out more: http://www.macromedia.com/go/devnetsubs