Interesting that you pick google.

You can test live without making it your main site.  People understand that
news.google.com is testing.  Not obvious that the www.macromedia.com site is the same.
 Moreover, the focus of google.com is not the news, it's another function.  People can
still use www.google.com without worrying about whether or not news.google.com.

No one has a perfect launch, but this isn't even close.

Mike Wokasch

P.S. I'm done complaining.  What's done is done, and hopefully they fix their problems
sooner than they have with MX & Linux ;)