All due respect to Mr. Neilsen, but he's a boring old codger. While
usability is important it's NOT the be-all end-all of web design and
development. I'm not sure how he became the de-facto lord of web
usability, but a lot of his ideas are contrary to what has worked in
print marketing for decades. The web is not JUST about information -
people are inherently aesthetic, it's our universal language and visual
language is stronger than any other. People pay more attention to visual
design than they realize - it affects you on the subconscious level and
honestly, your brain pays more attention to the visual than the content
in the long run. When you dream you dream in pictures, icons and
symbols, not pages and pages of black and white text with blue links.

If Jacob Neilsen's logic was applied to design outside the web all those
universally-understood handicapped signs would be replaced with 4 foot
wide black and white banners that read HANDICAPPED.

Joshua Miller
Head Programmer / IT Manager
Garrison Enterprises Inc.
www.garrisonenterprises.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(704) 569-9044 ext. 254

except where the sender states them to be the views of
Garrison Enterprises Inc.

This e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and contains information that is private and confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error please delete it immediately and
advise us by return e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]