People know they can do this - the problem I think is simply the
documentation. I think people wanted this concept (of the private scope
and This) to be a bit more fleshed out. Also, in 'normal' CFML pages,
you can dump all local variables by dumping the Variables scope. Even
though private variables act like Variables variables (ick, sorry ;),
you can't cfdump it. So, it's not a question of people not knowing  away
around the issue, but just wanting things to be a bit more elegant. (Of
course, that's my take on it and I don't speak for everybody.)

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Mindseye, Inc
Member of Team Macromedia

Email    : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blog     : www.camdenfamily.com/morpheus/blog
Yahoo IM : morpheus