Check out qForms. It'll greatly simplify the syntax of dealing w/JS forms,
as well as it'll cut your work down tremendously.

http://www.pengoworks.com/qforms/

There's a number of examples online that will give you an idea of where to
get start. Essentially all you need to do this is to set an event to run
during the onblur event for each of the first three fields. This should call
a function which checks the value of each of the first three fields and if a
value exists in each field, it'll update the initials field using something
like:

oForm.initials.setValue(
        oForm.firstName.getValue().charAt(0) +
        oForm.middleName.getValue().charAt(0) +