>Uh, "//[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and "//rule/@name" aren't
>equivalent XPATH expressions.

<snip> Understood.  But I think the previous poster was suggesting that, as
a workaround for this problem, you could, using something like a regular
expression replace, change the second Xpath call into the first call, then
use the XmlAttributes method on the returned XML object.

>I suspect what is happening is that when you do a
>cfdump, only the content of the node is displayed.
>Technically, the content of an element node is all the
>"text" between its enclosing tags (ignoring its
>attributes), whereas the content of an attribute node
>is nothing (but it has a value of "firstRule"). Or, in
>XSL terms, you're expecting <xsl:value-of> behavior
>while xmlsearch is exhibiting <xsl:copy-of> behavior.

Are you suggesting that the value I'm after is somewhere in the returned
object, but cfdump doesn't know how to handle it, or that XmlSearch isn't
returning it at all.  If it's the former, then I'd love to know how to
access that information.