> Uh, "//[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and "//rule/@name" aren't
> equivalent XPATH expressions. The first is "all
> element rule nodes which have a name attribute" while
> the second is "all name attribute nodes belonging to a
> rule element node"

You are correct, but the problem stems more from the way Macromedia decided
to implement returning of XML data. Since all XML functions are supposed to
return the data in the same format, the xmlSearch() function should return
the information in the same manor (since they've decided not to return
specific information, but return the entire node instead.)

You are correct in pointing out that syntax is important and you should use
the correct syntax to avoid problems with different XML engines. If you
supply the correct syntax, then there should be no confusion on what to
expect back.

I still think I'd classify this as a bug, or at least CFMX should throw an
error stating this is an invalid XPath expression for this function (since
xmlSearch returns entire nodes.)

-Dan