Yup - you nailed all the reasons below why I use image ready for batch.

Although I have found batch processing in Macromedia MX to be just as
fast and robust. Perhaps that is even a better option for the more
possiblye likeli support of being able to use other Macr tools like
coldfusion.. just another idea..

Actually - I hope the original poster -if he solves the issue responds
back to the list with his findings.. my mind envisions me on a beach
chair : while an image editing software is working it's but off ; with
the thought of setting something like that up.

I didn't even consider that route and am going the flash mx - load jpg
to create certain graphical elements as flash which indeed could be
handled as jpgs instead with some functionality loss - but I would love
to test them together.

good luck
jay miller