Joshua Miller wrote:

> ... with RIA applications you will inherently have a longer load time
> because you're loading the entire application at once. With traditional
> web applications you get page-by-page loads which is faster initially,
> but overall I would imagine you sit and wait longer for traditional HTML
> pages when all is said and done.
>
> Think about it - 35 seconds to load an HTML page is slow, but to load 50
> HTML pages it's pretty fast.

Downloading 50 pages is a bit over the top for most users. Downloading
3-4 at a time is about the maximum I do (the rest can load in other tabs
in the background). And then 35 seconds is at the high end of fast.

> That's what RIAs give you, the equivalent
> of an entire application in one page load. Most users don't complain
> about Microsoft Outlook taking 30 seconds to load, it's total lack of
> accessibility features and it's generally sluggish behavior when doing
> searches, etc. but when a web application doesn't load in 6 seconds and
> the link to the second version of the site in HTML doesn't leap out and
> grab your attention then everyone is up in arms. We're all accustomed to
> looking at application splash screens while waiting for desktop
> applications to load, why is it so outrageous for a web application to
> do the same?

Because with web pages, we right-click and open in new tabs. I rarely
work with less than 3 different windows with 5 tabs each at the same
time in a browser.
Yet I rarely work with more as 1 email window + 1 compose window at the
same time.

> You have to realize, what Macromedia is doing is laying the groundwork
> for a whole new way to create applications

It is a way that I feel will be pretty successful.

I just don't think that a _website_ like macromedia.com is an
_application_ that is wel suited for this. In the current incarnation, I
think the webforums are more suited for this as a website where the main
interaction from the user is deciding where to go next.

On the other hand, I believe that Macromedia could make a killer
application by developing some webmail client in Flash. Just run that as
an open webmail system with a CF backend connectiong to whichever server
the visitor enters and I think it would be much easier to convince
people of the power of Flash (and we might get a cfimap tag out of it).

Jochem