Adrocknaphobia Jones wrote:

> But isn't this where the conflict lies? If Flash is to have file
> uploading, it means it would need some way to access the client's disk
> (outside of the cookie-esque system in place). But isn't that where
> security issues would come in to play? Now I would have an application
> (not an inactive HTML form control) that could access my disk. I always
> assumed this is why this functionality was left out of Flash. I would
> almost guarantee that the government would disallow the flash plug-in if
> this was the case.

Does the government disallow browsers? Browsers are applications that
can access the file system :-) Just program Flash to behave according to
the security rules specified in the HTTP and HTML standards. Or make
Flash leverage the file uploading capabilities of browsers in some
clever way through direct API access.

The bottom line is that the government trusts IE, so there is no reason
they should not trust Flash even if the built-in security is half backed
(although I would appreciate it if it was a bit better as what is in IE).

Jochem