At 5:42 PM -0400 7/11/2000, Dave Watts wrote:

>This is also true, but may actually cause you to require an extra step, as
>you might have the requirement to prevent duplicate values in your natural
>primary key, even if it's not being officially used as a primary key. For
>example, you wouldn't want to have duplicate entries with the same first
>name, last name and SSN, even if you're using an identity column as a
>surrogate key. Again, I'm willing to live with that, and heartily recommend
>using identity columns, or whatever surrogate key mechanism the database
>offers.

Yes, this is true...

...But, here again use of Identity solves a problem:

What if you used FN LN and Street address as primary key?

Then, You have two different AlGores living at the same address!

You would somehow have uniquify these two different records' primary keys..

Enter Identity, problem solved...

Now, what do I do with that extra AlGore?

FDick