Is it just me, or does Joe seem to avoid the actual questions that Tom has
asked??  Or have the questions been truncated in some way?

Why is the city example a bad one?  It's something that every address that
is stored has, and can potentially contain many duplications.

What is the relevance of the SAN?  The majority of addresses won't have
anything to do with the book trade?!

Where Joe does mention putting city, state and zip into seperate tables, he
doesn't explain what he uses to reference between tables?  If he doesn't use
an Identity column, does he just use the city, state or zip as the key?
Doesn't this cause over-bloated indexes therefore affecting performance and
possibly fragmented indexes?

I'm not familiar with Joe Celko, or his work, but from the messages that
have been posted I still haven't seen any definitive reason to not use
Identity columns, and in my experience, as Tom mentioned in his email to
Joe, most developers I have also ever come across have used Identity
columns.  I have about 8 years experience of database design, and building
systems, and I have never come across anyone who has had serious problems
with  Identity columns.  Maybe that is purely luck.

There have been lots of great reasons posted for using Identity Columns, but
not many for not using them and I guess at the end of the day, do what works
for you, but be aware of the potential pitfalls, and develop accordingly.

In my personal opinion, and from my experience to date, I will continue to
use Identity columns, and I will continue to recommend them.