Separate tables, because you should be relating those tables to your "main"
tables in the DB.  For example, for a user database where you also store the
user's state, you might have a DB design like:

        Users                   xState
        ------------            -------------
        UserID (PK)      |------xStateID (PK)
        Username         |      Abbreviation
        ...              |      State
        xStateID (FK)----|
        ZipCode

So, instead of storing the 2 character state abbreviation in your "Users"
table, you store the numeric ID xStateID.

--
Mosh Teitelbaum
evoch, LLC